I took some audio from veterans who served as tour guides aboard the ship. Each person who pays for addmission to the ship also is given a small device that allows them to follow along with a self guided audio tour. This device is a product of Antenna Audio. It allowed you to listen to an audio tour of various parts of the ship. For example, if you were standing on the flight deck and wanted to learn more about the plane you were standing in front of you could simply type the number on the display into the device and it would load that portion of the tour. I realize that these devices are used at museums around the world but I thought this device was very well organized and easy to use.
The podcast contains audio from some of the veterans onboard and a short clip from the preprogramed audio tour. There was a little wind so the audio from the flight deck does have a little "noise" in the background. The podcast answers some interesting questions, such as:
- How does a plane take off from the flight deck of a carrier?
- How does a fighter pilot go to the bathroom while in flight?
- What do you cook for the thousands of sailors onboard?
- How do you organize the planes taking off and landing on the flight deck?
- What happens if you try to take off from the flight deck and you left your parking brake on?
If you have any comments or questions please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Direct link to listen to Podcast #34 - Touring the USS Midway in San Diego at NECC 2006 - MP3 Format (19:44 minutes)
Podcast #34 Show Notes:
- USS Midway - official site
- Antenna Audio - company which provides the audio tours aboard the Midway
- Stay a night on the Midway - how awesome would this be?
- Educator information from the Midway
- Wiki article on the USS Midway
- Online photo archive of the USS Midway
Technorati Tags: necc necc06 necc06prep