Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Podcast #75 - American Idol - Guilty Pleasure or Alarming Cultural Trend?

Hello. Yes, I'm an American Idol viewer. I'm not one of those crazy fans with posts on message boards, voting 30 times each week, checking out the blog rings of my favorite singer but I do watch. I also talk about it at lunch and record it if I'm away from the house at the time. Even my 3 year old likes to watch it and guess who will "go home" that week. But what does it mean when in last year's final there were over 65 million votes casts - roughly half the number cast in the 2004 presidential election? Is watching and talking about American Idol just a guilty pleasure that has captured our attention or do we as a nation spend way too much time talking and following American Idol, Anna Nicole Smith, Paris Hilton, etc?

If you have a comment or question about this podcast or the Speaking of History podcast in general please feel free to leave a comment to this blog post or e-mail me at speakingofhistory@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment